Pages

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Day I Found Out I Had Cancer




It’s Cancer- June 10, 2008 The Day I found Out I Had Cancer

June 11, 2008












I finally had a dreaded mammogram a couple weeks ago and I'm very glad that I did.  After a week I was called back in to have an ultrasound done at which time my doctor decided to do a biopsy.  The following week was hell but nothing could have prepared me for what I was told yesterday in the doctor's office.

I have breast cancer.  It has started in a lobule in my left breast where it has nested and begun to spread.  I'm very lucky it was caught early and they are very positive about my recovery.  While my head spins with so many questions and regrets, I can't really recall anything else the doctor said after that.  Something about scheduling surgery, radiation...i don't know it all swirled around my head, not getting to my brain.

The first thing I did was break down and cry.  I called my family...whoa is me...then I cried some more.  I smoked a lot and decided to do a shot of jack.  To calm the nerves...really...so I could figure out what to do next.  What I decided to do was call a friend, go to the bar and watch the Laker game.  Yeah.  That'll get my mind off it for awhile.  And it did.  But I can't remember who won the game and I still don't know where to go from here.

Well, now that it has settled in a bit and have decided to find out more about this....I'm going to read the book they gave me and get my questions together for my surgical consult on Tuesday.  Back at work today my team rallied their support and now I have so many resources.  Now I feel a little more settled, at least in the knowing that others have made it, and I can too.  I just need to keep positive and keep strong.  This is going to be a long fight. 


Now...how do I tell the kids?



Fun times...before
Before diagnosis...ohhh my hair



No comments:

Post a Comment