Pages

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

August 10, 2008: Emergency Room




Just Out of the Hospital




Well, now I know why I was so fricken hot all those days....I was 101 degrees of pure hotness for real!  I had a fever and ended going to the ER.  Wow what an experience!

When I got there they took me right away.  My temp was 101.8 and they took blood tests stat.  I was very weak and shaking uncontrollably with the chills.  The fuckers wouldn't give me a blanket because they wanted the temp reading to be accurate.  When the tests came back and they were sure I had a fever, they let me warm up and put me on an IV.

3 times a day in the stomach
My white blood cell count was barely 1,000.  Normal WBC is 4,000-10,000.  What?  I was fine wasn't I?  I've been staying home, being a good girl.  Well, I did lose my appetite and wasn't eating right.  I was also running around doing errands....I just felt hot.  If I didn't get dizzy I wouldn't have gone to the ER.  Thank God I did.

I was admitted to the hospital that day and got a lovely, private, lakeview room.  It was private cuz I was put in isolation.  I was real vulnerable to infections and such so I had to be put in solitary to protect myself.  Everyone who came in had to be sterile and covered up.  It was very clean, even the air was pure.

Smiling cuz I have to
The first night was hell; fighting the chills, bone pain, the uncertainty of whether I was gonna live or die.  I felt like my soul was falling away from me.  I cried a lot.  I had to have injections in my stomach along with continuous antibiotics by IV.  My temp would keep spiking, the highest was 102.  Every night at 3am I would have my blood drawn.  Freaked me out every time!  Somehow, when I fell asleep, I always forgot I was in the hospital.  Then I'd wake up and remember.....oh yeah, I'm in hell.  But wait...it gets worse.

On my 3rd day in the hospital (Day 11 after my first chemo) I started to lose my hair.  Little strands started coming out when I ran my fingers through my hair.  Then on day 12, I was losing handfuls!  Nothing worse than losing your hair and not being able to get out of bed.  

Thank God I was released that day.  There was hair everywhere!!!!  Yikes.   And I still had a lot of hair left on my head.

I got home and cut it off!  I didn't do too bad.  I wasn't ready to go bald yet...don't think I would do it on purpose.  And yesss...I took a picture.  Who wants to see it?

Besides all that...whatever, it'll grow back.  I'm home now, in quarantine for a couple days, but feelin A-OK.  I'm alive.....and ready for my next chemo...on the 18th.  Or am I?   Dam......which wall should I climb first?

No comments:

Post a Comment