Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

December 6, 2008: Crossing the Finish Line


End of Treatments



Current mood:accomplished

Crossing the Finish Line

One of my Doctors
This past Thursday, I finished my last day of treatment. The night before I kept checking my calendar making sure I got the date right.   I didn't want it to be like the time I thought it was Friday at work, only to find out at the end of the day it was only Thursday. (It was a rough week.) 

In this case, it's been a rough 6 months. But there I was, ready to cross the finish line.
Radiation was time consuming, taking up 3 hours of my day, every Monday through Friday for the past few months. Actually, it was 35 treatments plus 6 radiation boosts at the end. The treatment itself was only a few minutes long. It was the prep and the drive that took the longest. 

The ride, however, was made bearable only because I shared it with 14 other cancer patients. We all knew about surgery, chemo and rads. We shared the same concerns about our treatments and we all had radiation as the last part to cross on our way back to being healthy.

My Radiology Team
Saying goodbye to my radiation therapists was bittersweet. I was glad it was all over, but yet I wasn't going to see these people again, and this made me sad. They helped cure me. 

Leaving my support group behind was also hard for me. As soon as I came out of the doctor's office I was met by a round of applause from the waiting room patients. It really was like crossing that finish line. I could hear, "You did it! You did!" Most of them, I didn't even know. But all of them knew how tough this journey was.   I did it.
Me and Deb, this journey brought us closer as friends


Well, after treatment I went to meet my dear old friends to watch the Chargers beat the Raiders. I hadn't been to the old spot since I started chemo and it was very nice seeing everybody. It was like coming home and celebrating a victory. Actually…it was coming home….and it is a huge victory. My doctor actually showed up and a few drinks with us.


These friends were by my side from the beginning

Tonight will be a huge celebration for me.   I will be celebrating my birthday (belated) and my end of treatments.    This is really going to be a great night for me, I am so thankful for my friends and grateful for being done with everything.  I am thankful that I am here to share my story of survival.

Cheers to me

No comments:

Post a Comment